Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Like Music, Music Sounds Good.

Collecting cook books has become something of a hobby for me. There are a lot of weird and wonderful ones out there, and even if I'll never cook from some of them I still enjoy reading the recipes (the older volumes I've gotten from thrift stores, especially--it's like having a secret cadre of grandmothers whispering in your ear about their church bake sale secrets).



I recently found a cook book for $2 at a local vintage shop. It's titled "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" and is a compilation of recipes by indie bands like Les Savy Fav, My Morning Jacket, Interpol, Grizzly Bear, Battles, RJD2... basically the recipe index looks like a Pitchfork list of must-listen-to bands. In true rock star style (the recipes are printed verbatim as the bands have submitted them), the instructions for most of these dishes are vague and/or laced with profanities... and in the case of Devandra Banhart's recipe for something called Africanitas Ricas, the last five lines of "instructions" seem to be pure gibberish.

No comments:

Post a Comment